Sabudana are also known as Sago pearl or Tapioca. It is a starch extracted from a tuber called cassava root. They are starchy product which are almost 90% carbohydrates with very little protein. They give instant energy and are most suitable for fasting and to give to sick people.
Sabudana khichdi is an easy snack and is a good recipe to be made during fasting days but it requires little experience to get the perfect non sticky sabudana khichdi. Other Vrat food on my blog and direct link to them is below:
- Sago Pearls Vada/ Tapioca Fritters/ Sabudana Vada In Appam Pan & Deep- Fried ( Tips & Tricks)
- Potato Cheela/ Crispy Pancake
- Sabudana vada/ sago with sweet potato and less oil
- Dips, Chutneys for Fasting (Vrat)/ 3 Quick & Easy Chutney recipes / How To Easily Dry Roast & Remove Peanut Skin
- Baked Potato wedges/ Potato fries
- Krishna Janmashtami – Sabudana kheer
For Youtube Video for Sabudana Khichdi
click on link below:
Tips for soaking Sago Pearls Properly/ How to soak Sabudana Perfectly? Tips for Sabudana Cooking.
- Rinse : This is important to get rid of dirt and the extra starch in form of powder sticked to sago pearls. Wash it nicely under running water – drain the dirty water. You can repeat it 2 or 3 times.
- Soaking for 5- 6 Hours : Second important and major is the amount of water used in soaking sabudana after rinsing. If we use more water in soaking they will become sticky and mushy. So Right amount of water is very important. My trick is if we used one cup of sabudana then it requires 3/4 cup of water to soak. See in below pictures — 1/3 water is left in cup. Another way to determine right amount of water is to dip your fingers as shown below — Water should be just enough to immerse all sabudana in water, just less than 1/4 ” above the level of pearls.
- Soaking Time : Keep it undisturbed for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- Doubles in Size : After soaking it doubles in size. See below picture —
- Check Softness : After soaking they will be nice fluffy and when you press between your fingers it should mash easily. This is the way to know that sabudana is soaked properly. If there is some hardness in the center of the sabudana pearls, then add 1 tablespoons of water by splashing evenly in the bowl . Cover and leave it for more 30 minutes.
- Cooking Time: Sabudana needs to be cooked for less time. When they turn transparent / translucent, meaning they are cooked. It hardly takes 4 -5 minutes to cook. If overcooked, they can become lumpy and dense.
- 1 cup Sabudana Pearls
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Jeera/Cumin seeds
- 1/4 Cup roasted crushed Peanuts
- 2- 3 Green Chilies
- 1 small Potato
- 1 tsp Sendha namak/Rock salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Cilantro leaves chopped for garnishing
Method for Non Sticky Sabudana Khichdi/Vrat/ Farali / Sago Khichdi
- Chop a small potato into pieces. Make small cubes as it will cook faster and evenly.
- Remember to slit full chilies as they tend to pop up in hot oil.
- In soaked sabudana add sendha namak/Rock salt, black pepper, sugar and roasted crushed peanuts. Mix all things nicely.
- On medium flame, heat 2 tbsp of oil. For fasting use peanut oil or sunflower oil. Add jeera/cumin seeds. Let them crackle and brown slightly.
- Add chopped green and full slit chilies.
- If you use boiled potato, then no need to cook. Just stir pieces in hot oil and skip below steps.
- Now add small pieces of potatoes. Add 2 tbsp of water so they cook soft and tender. Close the lid and cook for 1 – 2 minute.
- Stir in between with help of spatula. Let the flame be low to medium.
- when done, check for tenderness of potato with spatula. It should break easily. Check 2-3 pieces of potatoes specially big pieces for tenderness. Because sometimes they are not evenly cooked.
- Now add Sabudana with spices mixed in it. Give a nice mix.
- Add 1 tsp of lemon juice to it and mix nicely.
- Cover the lid and cook for 4- 5 minutes on low flame.
- Stirring in between with spatula will make khichdi fluffy and non-sticky.
- Saute till they became translucent. Close the flame. Over cooking will make them lumpy and sticky.
Garnish with Chopped cilantro leaves. Serve Sabudana Khichdi with Yogurt.