Happy Valentines Week to all my Friends!
Valentine And Red Velvet themed snacks and cakes are inseparable combo. When we think of celebrating Valentine day, the list of menu starts with Red velvet cake, chocolates and etc.. These days Red Velvet Cookies are also popular due to its pretty color and texture. The beauty is you can make both Red velvet Cookies and Chocolate Cookies from one single dough. And it’s beautiful color is from natural alternative -Beetroot.
I am always hesitant in using artificial colors in our food. So I was keen on making them with natural colors. There are many recipes with gel colors and also with beetroot natural coloring. I like the idea of beetroot and sharing here simple recipe of Eggless Beetroot cookies which can be made perfect in first attempt for sure. These cookies are moderate sweet in taste and white chocolate and choco chips on top of it balances it nicely for me , If you like more sweetness than increase sugar accordingly in recipe.
There is another recipe of Red velvet Cupcakes with beetroot on this blog. Check the link here — Red Velvet Cupcakes with Buttercream frosting (#eggless, #vegan)
Oat Cookies with 2 ingredients ( No flour, No sugar, No baking powder) Check the recipe here — Healthy Oat Cookies/ 2 Ingredient Cookies/Grab & Go Snack
Benefits of Beetroot:
- Beneficial for weight loss: They are high in valuable vitamins and mineral and low in calories and fat, It has high water content so helpful in reducing weight.
- Beets contain a high concentration of nitrates, which have a blood pressure-lowering effect. This may lead to a reduced risk of heart attacks, heart failure and stroke.
- Beneficial for digestive health: Beets are a good source of fiber,One cup of beetroot contains 3.4 grams of fiber thus prevent digestive conditions like constipation, inflammatory bowel diseases.
There are many other benefits so try to include in food for picky and fussy kids in their snacks and loved desserts.
For youtube video on Red Velvet & Chocolate Cookies click on link below:
- 1 cup plain flour/ maida
- 1/2 cup brown sugar/powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup melted salted butter
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 -3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp beetroot puree
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Few Chocolate/white chips
Method for making Red velvet beetroot and Chocolate Cookies:
First for getting this natural color we will have to work with a nice medium size beetroot. You can use leftover puree in pancakes, juices or soups.
- First peel a medium size beetroot and make small bite size pieces.
- I have cooked in pressure cooker ( you can steam also) and pureed with hand blender without adding water.
- The important thing to remember is don’t add water while steaming/ boiling in container with beetroot pieces.
- Now start with melting butter 1/4 cup. If you have unsalted butter add a pinch of salt in plain flour.
- I have used brown sugar half cup. You can substitute it with half cup powdered white sugar. It will have no effect on final outcome.
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract for nice flavour to our cookies.
- This is important now, mix well with manual whisk or handheld mixer. Beat the butter and sugar until well combined and creamy. Try to scrape down sides of bowl in between when needed while mixing. You are looking for mixer to become light pale in color than original and fluffy and light. Refer pic below:
- Once you get creamy mix, sift 1 cup maida and 1/2 tsp baking powder into it.
- Mix and make a cookie dough.
- Try to bring it together with hands, add milk with tablespoon slowly and try to bring it together. Add milk as needed gradually, don’t add altogether. I have used 3 tbsp milk, it will depend on quality of flour.
- Divide the dough into two portions.
- In one portion add 1 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder and mix nicely.
- In second portion add 2 tsp beetroot puree and 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder. Add 1 more tsp puree till you get nice bright pink color as shown in pic below. If you use less your cookie color will be light pink in color.
- Important thing to remember is as you have used puree in last portion, dough will be sticky due to more water content than cocoa cookie dough. So refrigerate dough for 15 or half an hour. It makes it easy to handle the dough. we have small portion of dough so cover it properly and chill for 15 minutes.
- Now fun part of rolling and shaping the cookies. Let your creativity flow and make cookies.
- I have cut it with heart shape cookie cutter and rolled extra dough from sides to small round cookies. Added choco chips on top. Refer pics below:
- After Chilling this beetroot cookie dough it is easy to handle and give shape to it. Follow below pics and add white chips to round shape cookies.
- Preheat oven at 180 degree celsius or 350 f. Line baking tray with parchment paper or grease tray with butter. Arrange cookies and bake for 10 minutes .
- Important thing to remember is to allow cookies to sit in oven for 5 – 10 minutes after baking. Don’t rush to bring it out on cooling rack. This helps cookies to become crunchy and hard from outside.
- Let it cool completely before decorating with white chocolate.
- Very Important thing to remember is thickness of cookies. Ensure to keep 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch thickness of your cookies. See how nicely they have baked from below😍