French beans are fully packed of green goodness. French beans offer a multitude of nutritional benefits with being low in calories and containing no saturated fats. They are an important source of dietary fiber and dietary protein. In this recipe addition of chickpea balls is good twist which makes it more interesting, inviting and adds more protein power to simple curry/ sabzi. This recipe holds good for vegan, gluten free ( avoid asafoetida), it is dry curry good for lunch box too.
We makes variety of combo of beans like beans and grated coconut, aloo beans etc.. This recipe omits aloo and give it new flavours and taste, enjoyed by all. It is made in very less oil so enjoy it without any guilt. It is full of flavours and appealing in every bite.
- 2 cups chopped french beans
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch of asafoetida/ hing (avoid for gluten free)
- 1 tsp ginger paste ( grated)
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 3-4 tbsp water (steaming)
For Chickpea balls/ besan ke gatte
- 1/2 cup besan/ chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp ajwain seeds ( crush between palms)
- 1 tsp sugar
- pinch of baking soda
- 2 tsp oil
- 2- 3 tbsp water as required
- chopped cilantro leaves
- grated coconut( fresh/ dry)
- lemon/ lime wedges
Method for making French beans with chickpea flour balls/ Beans with besan ke gatte
- Fresh beans should be stiff to hold but flexible, giving a snap sound upon being broken. Start with just a few beans at once, and then you can work your way up to more as you feel comfortable. If first time do with 2 beans only at a time.
- Wash them nicely in water and keep in colander for drying.
- Line up handful of green beans to one side, cut the tips/stalks on one end of beans. As shown in pic. Also do the same on other end/ side.
- Be careful while chopping, hold few beans at a time and chop small pieces.
- In a small bowl add 1/2 cup chickpea flour/ besan.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt to taste.
- Take few ajwain seeds in your palm, crush it with other hand and then add.
- Now add sugar, pinch of baking soda and 2 tsp of oil.
- Mix well all ingredients. Now add water spoon by spoon and bring all things together. You will need to use your hand for it.
- Use less water as required and make it into a dough. If you use less water, it will be smooth and not sticky. If its sticky, take little oil on your fingers, and roll it into small log.
- Make small small balls as shown in pic, roll on your palm and make small balls.
- Now in this stage assemble all things and cook on low to medium flame.
- Heat oil, when mustard seeds splutter, add cumin seeds and asafoetida/ hing. (Avoid for gluten free cooking).
- Add ginger paste and cook for 1 – half minute till it’s raw smell goes away or slightly browns.
- Add chopped beans, we have cut it small so they cook fast. I like to add salt and turmeric first for even cooking.
- Add 2 tbsp water and give it a stir.
- Now add chickpea flour balls in center and close the lid.
- Cook for 8 – 10 minutes, stir in between and add water if needed for cooking.
- Stir and check for tenderness of beans and besan balls. Press the beans with a ladle to check if they turned tender. If not done then add a splash of water (1 tbsp) and close the lid. Cooking time will depend upon fresh and tender beans. Tender and fresh beans cooks fast.
- When they are cooked add red chili powder and coriander powder, mix well and cook for 3- 5 minutes and close the flame.
Garnish it with chopped cilantro leaves and grated coconut. Serve it with chapati or paratha. It is good for packing in lunch-box too.
This French beans curry offers a multitude of nutritional benefits:
- French beans are a great source of protein. And in this its doubled by adding chickpea flour.
- They are rich in dietary fibre.
- It contains essential minerals as iron, calcium and magnesium.
- It is a good source of vitamin C, vitamin K and silicon (needed for healthy bones, skin, and hair).
- Besan/ chickpea flour has lesser calories than whole wheat flour. … According to various studies adding protein & fiber to your diet may help control cravings, as they take longer to digest than carbohydrates, helping you feel fuller for longer and on fewer calories, which could help you lose weight.