In this cold harsh weather, one hot bowl of vegetable soup with spices is a wish come true. In the U.S. and many other parts of world, wind chill warnings are prevailing since few days. In few places it is as low as 50 below zero. Which means combination of very cold air and wind creates dangerously low wind chill. It is advisable to stay indoors and stay warm. This soup bowl is perfect to give warmth to body from ginger, garlic and mainly white pepper. It has lots of veggies and is a light meal or accompaniment that can be enjoyed any time of day.
This Vegan Hot and Sour vegetable soup is so appetizing, filling and warms your body. It is thick and tangy and you can adjust the heat to make it as spicy as you like.
- 1 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup finely chopped capsicum ( red,orange,green )
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Carrots
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped french beans
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onions
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp green chilli paste
- 2 tsp rice vinegar/white vinegar
- 3 tsp Soya sauce (low in sodium)
- 1 tbsp white pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- 3 tsp cornstarch + 3 tbsp water
- 4 cup water/ vegetable stock
- 1 tsp sugar
Video for making Hot & Sour Vegetable Soup
Method for Hot & Sour Vegetable Soup
- Chop all vegetables finely, keep little green onions for garnishing.
- Grind white pepper finely.
- Take Soy Sauce of less Sodium.
- Heat oil in medium flame, Saute ginger- garlic paste till raw smell goes away.
- Then add green chili paste and red onions.
- Add carrots and beans and saute on medium- high flame for 1 minute approx.
- Add cabbage and all types of capsicum and green onions. Saute on high flame for 40 -50 seconds, so that veggies remain their crunch.
- 1) Add water or vegetable stock in it.
- 2) & 3) Add Soy Sauce and rice/white vinegar in it. If you want more tanginess then add vinegar accordingly.
- 4) Add White pepper, its aroma and flavour is what makes the difference.
- 5) & 6) Add black pepper and salt in it, mix nicely. Check for salt as soy sauce also has in it.
- Mix cornstarch slurry with spoon before adding into the soup.
- Remember to mix continuously with spatula while adding slurry. Otherwise it will form lumps as water is boiling.
- Mix for 2- 3 minutes till soup becomes thick. Let it comes to a boil. and then close the flame.
- Serve it hot in a bowl. Garnish with greens of spring onions.
Health benefits of Hot and Sour vegetable Soup
- Soup is perfect for the winter sniffles.
- It provides warmth to body as it has ginger, garlic and white pepper.
- Vegetable soup full of delicious, antiviral ingredients will help to chase the germs right out of your body.
- At the same time it will fill you up with healthy veggies.
- This Flu Buster Vegetable Soup recipe with its immune boosting vegetables and spices is definitely the best soup for a cold or any time you are sick.
- While black pepper contains the outer layer, this layer is removed in case of white pepper. However, they are used in different cuisines due to the difference in their hotness. White pepper is hotter than black pepper.
- White pepper helps in preventing cancer by preventing formation of free radicals. It also aids in weight loss due to the presence of capsaicin, that burns fat in the body.