As in my earlier post, we have seen Vadi papad curry recipe. So we can easily get moong vadis in Indian store but some places it is hard to get. So we can make them at home also. Homemade is always better and you can use spices according to your taste and liking. Moong dal vadis are a storehouse of protein, and these lentil chunks are vegan and gluten free (avoid asafoetida).
Vadi/ Badi as they are called are made up of basically moong/ yellow dal/ lentil. They are also made from urad dal, chickpeas, chawli, or a mix of them. Here I am sharing way of making yellow moong dal/lentil.
Salt is avoided in making vadis?
Generally when we add salt to vegetables or dal, it releases water from it. And we want our lentil mix to be thick, if we add salt in it, it will become watery, and it will be difficult to make vadis out of it.
- 1 cup moong dal/ yellow lentil
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- half inch ginger
Method to make Moong Vadis
- Wash moong dal nicely and soak it in excess water for 2-3 hours.
- Drain excess water by keeping it in colander. Let it dry for 15 minutes.
- Now once it is drained properly, Add drained dal/lentil in grinder- mixer. Add green chilies, cumin seeds and ginger in it and make a thick paste. If you need add 1 tbsp of water.
- The lentil mix should be thick.
- Now you can take a steel plate/ plastic sheet. Oil the plate.
- Take lentil mix in your fingers and using thumb drop into small rounds. If not comfortable than make a icing bag of lentil mix as shown in below pics.
- 1) Take an icing bag or a simple ziplock bag.
- 2) Place it open in a glass.
- 3) &4) Fill it with a spoon till top.
- 5) Gently gather from all sides ziplock bag.
- 6) Tie a knot, pressing lentil mix downwards.
- 7) Make a small hole at the tip of bag.
- Now on steel plate make small small rounds of lentil mix.
- Each portion of lentil mix should be at 2-3 mm. distance from each other.
- Finish lentil mix and make as much round vadis as you can.
- Keep the plate/ sheet with wet moong vadi under the sun for drying.
- It will take two days if the temperature is 25-35oC and one day if the temperature is 35-45oC.
- Let them dry for 2-3 days depending on the sunlight available. You can also dry them inside an airy room in case you do not have access to spots with direct sunlight.
- When the vadis have dried completely, store in an airtight jar and use when needed.
- Do not add strong smelling spices in dal paste of moongodi as the subtle flavor of moongodi will be overpowered by them.
- You can also make these vadis with just asafoetida and chilli powder if you don’t like them too spicy.
- Dal should be soaked nicely. When the soaked dal is pressed with finger nail it should be soft enough to break.
- Paste of soaked dal should be thick.
- Do not add water in large portions while grinding, add only when required, that also in very small portions.
- Scrape the moongodi from the plate / plastic sheet only when it is dry else it will get smashed to pulp and become useless.