Vadi Papad or Moong vadi/badi curry is a famous dish from India. It has different variations in Rajasthani, Gujarati,Punjabi cuisine. Vadis or Lentil chunks are made up of moong, chickpeas, urad dal or mix of few lentils and are suitable for vegetarian and vegans. They are the protein packed and is one of top Indian recipes. It is easy and a quick curry perfect when you do not have any vegetables in your fridge. It makes delicious lunch/dinner or a tiffin curry paired with whole wheat roti/ paratha.
I am sharing a dried version of Vadi Papad nu shaak/ sabji. This recipe is quick to make with ready made sun dried chunks easily available in Indian store. It is flavorful and packed with protein to give right amount of taste and energy to carry out your day.
How are Vadi/ badi made?
Vadi/ Badi as they are called are made up of basically moong/ yellow dal/ lentil. They are also made from urad dal, chickpeas, chawli, or a mix of them. They are made by soaking lentils in water and then grinding them with few spices but without water. Then in small nuggets shapes they are sun dried for later use. They are easily available in any Indian store, they are available with spices and without spices. Check before buying it.
- 1 cup moong vadi
- 2 papad tear them into pieces ( any brand)
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder/ paprika
- 1/2 tsp coriander cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch of asafoetida
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 small tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger grated/paste
- few chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp oil for roasting vadis
- 3 – 4 tbsp water or as needed
- Refer pic below, There are two types of vadis available. First is without spice mixed in it and second pic has ginger and green chillies in it. So use dry species according to your type of vadi available. If you are not sure, taste it, they are good for snacking also without cooking.😊
- Heat kadhai and add 1/2 tsp of oil on low flame and roast vadis till they turn little golden brown / pink. It takes approx 1 minute.
- Remove the vadis in plate and keep it aside.
- Now in same kadhai heat oil on medium to low flame, add mustard seeds and when they start to crackle add cumin seeds.
- Now add onions and saute till it turns translucent, followed by grated ginger.
- Now it’s time for chopped tomatoes till they turn mushy.
- You can add roasted moong vadi with dry spices as salt, paprika, turmeric and coriander powder. Give it a mix.
- Now add pieces of papad and sprinkle water to help to form steam.
- Cover and cook on low flame. Steam will help to cook vadis and absorb all flavours from species. It will take 5-7 minutes, open and check vadis for tenderness. If needed splash some water to cook on low flame.
- While cooking it soaks water and become dry. Perfect for lunchbox currys.
- Add coriander leaves on top of it and serve with chapatis.
Health benefits : As vadis are made up of lentils – mung, chickpeas, urad, peas,chawli etc.. So are protein rich and has benefits of lentils.They are readily available throughout the year for use.
- Lentils are low in calories, rich in iron and folate and an excellent source of protein. They pack health-promoting polyphenols and may reduce several heart disease risk factors.
- Lentils are rich in complex carbohydrates, a nutrient that boosts the metabolism and helps the body to burn fat. They are an excellent source of fiber, which can help reduce cholesterol levels. Lentils are also an outstanding source of folate and magnesium.
- They are good for weight loss as made up of lentils, they tend to fill you up without adding unnecessary calories to your meal.