Start of New year 2019, brings hopes and new resolutions to make for staying healthy and to bring smiles on faces of loved ones. Spreading Smiles wishing you all a happy ✨ Happy New Year✨ .
To start this fantastic year, I have thought of all time favorite Potato fries. Kids loves to have them at any time of the day. They are perfect as side dish to any main course or served as an appetizer. But this is a healthy baked version with less oil, So anybody can finish the plate without any guilt. Enjoy the crunchy potato fries without worrying about oil.
Which Potatoes are good for Potato fries.
The ideal french fry is golden brown, crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and not too oily. I have tried to bake Russet potatoes. And I am satisfied with the outcome always. Potatoes that are higher in starch are recommended for deep frying and oven baked fries.
Spread them evenly on baking sheet.
This is possibly the most important thing to keep in mind. You need to space out your potatoes on a baking sheet otherwise they will steam up too much in the oven and become mushy and soft.
So let’s start with simple recipe of baked potato fries/ wedges. This is so simple that kids can also get involved in cooking but adult supervision is needed.
- One big Potato washed and pet dry
- 1 Tsp oil ( olive/ sunflower)
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp black pepper powder
- Preheat the oven at 400 degree f.
- Wash nicely and scrub the skin of potato under running water. This will help to get rid of any dirt or soil.
- Cut it lengthwise in two equal halves. Refer pic 2.
- Cut each half into two parts. Refer pic 3.
- And now cut each part into halves, it will make 4 wedges. Refer pic 4. Do the same for other half.
- As wedges were long, so I cut it into two. Arrange them into non stick baking tray.
- If you don’t have non stick tray then use parchment/ butter paper.
- Sprinkle few drops of oil on wedges. Also sprinkle salt and black pepper powder. If you want for fasting(vrat) use sendhav salt.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet to flip the potatoes and then return back to the oven, to bake for another 15 minutes. Or till they turn golden brown.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
- Just 110 calories.
- No fat, sodium or cholesterol.
- Nearly half your daily value of vitamin C.
- More potassium than a banana.
- A good source of vitamin B6.
- Fiber, magnesium and antioxidants