Plum cake has been served around the time of the Christmas holiday season. Plum cake refers to a wide range of cakes made with either dried fruit ( grapes, raisins, prunes ) or with fresh fruit. These days term ”plum cake” and ” fruit cake” have become interchangeable. This recipe is made with richness and sweetness of dried fruits soaked in fresh fruit juice. Blend of few spices with Caramel syrup gives a delicious taste, soft and moist texture, which is totally irresistible. Try this eggless and no alcohol easy Christmas cake —– Wishing you all Merry Christmas and prosperous New Year.
How to make cake flour?
We always get confused with terms as cake flour. In every household easily available is plain flour( maida). So we can use this plain flour with combination of cornstarch to make cake flour. It helps to make really soft layers of cake, fluffy crumb.
It is very simple to make. Take your measuring cup. Add two tablespoon of cornstarch at the bottom of cup, then fill cup with all purpose flour till level top. Mix it well. So always remember- 1 Cup cake flour = 2 Tbsp cornstarch + plain flour.
How to make buttermilk for cake batter?
Generally for eggless cakes, recipe calls for buttermilk. so simple way to make your own buttermilk is simply by adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar/ lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. Just stir the lemon juice/ vinegar into the milk and then let it stand for 10 minutes before using. It really add to the richness of eggless cakes. Remember it should be at room temperature.
How to make it Vegan?
If you are vegan or allergic to dairy, then you can make your own vegan buttermilk — Firstly, simply take your plant based milk (unsweetened, plain) non-dairy milk and add 1 teaspoon lemon juice/ vinegar. Allow mixture to wait 10 minutes. The acid from the vinegar or lemon juice reacts the same way cultured buttermilk acts in baked goods. your homemade vegan buttermilk is ready to be used…😊
What spices mix to be used?
In this recipe, I have used Cinnamon powder and my tea masala powder. If you don’t have tea masala or any other spice mix, then just grind few ingredients as follows: Take one small cinnamon stick + 3 green cardamom + 3-4 black pepper + 2 cloves, Grind it to fine powder. Tip: If you warm up your whole spices before grinding, then it gives more flavours and makes grinding easier.
For more dessert and eggless baking options you can try these links below:
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 2 dates chopped
- 1 tbsp cranberry
- 1 tbsp dried cherry
- 1 anjeer/fig chopped
- 3 tbsp tooty fruity
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup plain flour ( 2 tbsp less)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp milk powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp spice mixed ( I have used tea masala)
- 1/4 cup oil ( I have used sunflower)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract/ essence
- 1/4 cup nuts chopped ( almonds & walnuts)
- For caramel syrup
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- water 5 tbsp
- For Glaze
- 1 -2 tbsp of fine sugar. Grind normal sugar for few pulse.
Wash nicely your orange with water. Grate to make orange zest and then you can make fresh orange juice for the recipe. I needed 2 oranges for 1/4 cup juice. Keep orange zest for later use in recipe.
- This step is to be done 1-2 hours before starting to make cake batter. You can keep for soaking overnight, if have time. This step gives excellent flavours to your cake.
- In a bowl take fresh orange juice. Start mixing your chopped raisins, dates, cranberry, dried cherry and tooty fruity. Let it soak in juice for 2 hours or overnight.
Prepare all things before starting mixing all things into your batter.
- Mix milk and vinegar and keep it for resting at least 10 minutes. This is also known as buttermilk.
- Make your cake flour. Add 2 tbsp cornstarch to plain flour.
- Measure your brown sugar. If you don’t have brown sugar, use normal sugar.
- Prepare your caramel syrup and keep for cooling.
- In a small pan on low – medium flame, heat 1 tbsp sugar without water.
- It will slowly start to caramelized, that is brown in color.
- Slowly add water, mix it.
- Close the flame and let it cool.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree celsius or 360 degree f.
- Now just mixing everything in that bowl. When it has soaked all juice, add in caramel syrup.
- Followed by Brown sugar. Whisk till sugar dissolves completely.
- Add vanilla extract followed by oil. Mix all things together nicely.
- Keep the sieve on top of the bowl. Add cake flour.
- Then goes baking powder, baking soda, milk powder, cinnamon powder, spice mix( i have used my freshly made tea masala).
- Sieve all ingredients nicely into the bowl.
- Mix all ingredients with help of spatula.
- Add buttermilk slowly in batches and mix, chopped nuts( walnuts & almonds) and mix all things together. Also add orange zest and stir nicely to make a smooth cake batter.
- Grease nicely with oil all sides of your tin/ pan. I have used 7 inch loaf tin.
- Transfer cake batter into the tin/pan.
- In preheated oven, bake at 180 degree celsius for 40 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean in center of the cake.
- See toothpick is clean and sides has also separated.
- Remove from the oven and cool it for about 10 mins before removing from the tin/pan.
- For glaze, sprinkle little grinded sugar on top of it.
- Serve warm or cold, it tastes awesome !!
- Traditionally alcohol is used to make plum cakes but orange /grape or cranberry juice just works well.
- Flavored with warm spices this cake is a perfect for Christmas celebration or at any other celebration.
- Any dry fruit of your liking and taste can be used in this recipe. Quantity may differ, but remember to chop it into small chunks.
- You can replace oil with same quantity of melted butter.
- Oil used should be neutral, I prefer Sunflower oil. It does not leaves its taste but provides perfect moistness.
- Preheat the oven. And after 30 minutes of baking keep an eye so it does not get over- bake.
- Let it cool down in a tin for 15 minutes, removing from mould becomes easy.
Enjoy your Holidays !!!