In this winter season, try this simple recipe of low or I would say NO calories Spinach Soup. Only four ingredients, one pot and less time. I love this recipe as it requires only one pot to wash afterwards, less mess to clean up in winter days. It is a nutrient dense and delicious way of including greens and keeping us warm n healthy.
This soup is especially good for all weight conscious readers and for me (little lazy person ).😉 The soup has not been strained in order to retain its fibre. Basically only four ingredients– spinach, tomatoes, black pepper and salt are used in it. And yes water if you want to count as fifth one. Blending all with help of hand blender makes thing more simple and mess free. I have tried to use more ingredients but always came back to this recipe for spinach soup.
Why Tomatoes & Spinach is a good combo?
According to dietitian Joanne Larsen, dark green, leafy vegetables like spinach and kale are best eaten in combination with another veggie high in Vitamin C like tomatoes, because “iron absorption in your intestines is improved by Vitamin C.” Tomatoes is a great sources of the immune-boosting vitamins.
Why Spinach & dairy is a bad combo?
I don’t prefer to use dairy in my soups as I want it to be simple. As according to Ayurveda, milk is a complete food, it requires digestion in its most concentrated form—by itself. I am not a learned person in this science, and its complex for me to go in detail. So A simple rule for cooking – to avoid milk with anything. At Least if not all so start with few… is my basis to go with food combining rules.
Spinach is a good source of calcium and milk is oxalate – dense food. “Oxalates are these little compounds that combine with calcium and prevent it from being absorbed,” says Sara Haas, registered dietitian nutritionist and spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.in
Lets see simple recipe of Spinach soup which is again taught by my mom. When I was kid, I didn’t like spinach soup but my all time favorite was tomato soup. But as we grow we understand and eat wisely. There is a link down below If you want to check tomato soup. ——-Tomato Soup
- 3 handful of Shredded Spinach washed and drained
- 2 tomatoes medium size
- Himalayan salt to taste
- freshly grounded black pepper
- 2 cups water
- Keep soft stems and discard big ones. Wash all spinach leaves nicely under running water. This is done to get rid of any debris or soil.
- For Tomatoes cut the top and make small X shape as shown in pic.
- Keep spinach and tomatoes in a heavy bottom pan. Add 2 cups of water to it. Close it with a lid.
- Heat the pan on medium to low heat till water in it starts to boil. It will take around 2 -3 minutes or till skin of tomatoes is soft. Close the flame.
- Give it a standing time of 2-3 minutes and then with help of fork peel the skin of tomatoes. It will come out very easily.
- Now with hand blender in same pot, puree it easily.
- Now add himalayan pink salt / table salt and black pepper. Blend it nicely.
- Now on medium -low heat cook it more for 5 minutes and serve it hot.
- It is good for serving to 3-4 people.
Everyone in my family loves this simple soup. The sourness of tomatoes and spice of black pepper with spinach is perfect to warm up our bodies in winter colds or on rainy days. Few Health benefits are as follows:
- When you eat spinach that has been heated, you will absorb higher levels of vitamins A and E, protein, fiber, zinc, thiamin, calcium, and iron.
- spinach is a superfood. It is loaded with tons of nutrients in a low-calorie package.
- Dark, leafy greens– spinach are important for skin, hair, and bone health.
- Tomatoes are the major dietary source of the antioxidant lycopene, which has been linked to many health benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease and cancer.
- Tomatoes are also a great source of vitamin C, potassium, folate and vitamin K.
- You can use half beet root also.
- You can use ginger powder with black pepper. It provides more warmth to the body.
- You can use garlic too.