When there are overripe bananas in my home, it’s time to bake…. yep, It seems weird but this has become mandatory these days. I am loving the natural sweetness that it gives to the food. If in a hurry then, I go for Oat Cookies as it has a simple recipe. But today as Halloween was there so went for Banana chocolate bread. It can be served with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream as an dessert.
Pretty hard to resist this Banana chocolate bread, especially when it’s still warm and kitchen blooming with mixed aromas of banana,chocolate and freshly baked bread. Made with whole wheat flour, loaded with the goodness of bananas and topped with chocolate chips and walnuts for crunch, this is a perfect recipe for kids lunch boxes, quick breakfast or snack time.
- 1 Cup Wheat flour
- 1 Cup All purpose flour
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 Cup unsweetened Cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 overripe Bananas
- 1 Cup Brown sugar ( Add 1/4 cup for more sweetness)
- 1/4 Cup Oil ( Sunflower/ olive)
- 3/4 Cup yogurt/ vegan yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla essence
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate chips
- 1/2 Cup chopped Walnuts ( Almonds,Pecans)
- Sieve together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and pinch of salt.
- Mash the bananas very finely and keep aside.
Why to lightly dust chocolates and nuts with flour?
In a bowl take chocolate chips and chopped walnuts or any other nuts and add a little FLOUR and toss all things nicely. They became LIGHTLY coated with flour and simply FOLD them into the batter. After baking chocolate chips and nuts will be scattered around the cake/bread and did not sink at all…
If you don’t chop nuts in small pieces, then they will sink… simply due to their WEIGHT!
- In a big bowl, Mix brown sugar and oil together.
- Now add yogurt and mix properly till sugar is dissolved in it nicely.
- It’s time to add vanilla essence and banana puree. Mix all into a thin liquid like consistency.
- Now the final stage of assembling all things in a single bowl.
- In the same bowl of sugar and banana puree add the flour mix.
- Add the dusted chocolate chips and finely chopped walnuts into the batter. Keep aside some for topping on the bread.
- Gently fold the batter into the liquid. No need to mix well if any lumps remain, that it just fine.
- Transfer the batter in a greased and dusted loaf pan.
Bake in a preheated oven on 350 degree f for 35- 45 minutes.
Once baked check the doneness of bread with the toothpick test. Insert a toothpick in the middle of the bread, if it comes out clean bread is done.
Before taking out from loaf pan, let it cool in it for 10-15 minutes. Then scrap sides and slowly flip it upside down on another tray, as we do for cakes. Once it cools down completely, cut the bread into pieces and store in an air-tight container. It stays good for a week in the refrigerator.
Trust me this is one of the best Egg-free Banana bread recipes. A no-fuss healthy recipe and the best way to use overripe bananas.
- I have used 1:1 ratio of whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour. You can be used either of the flour. If using only whole wheat flour, add a little milk to the if batter becomes dry.
- Sieve properly flour,cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder.
- Don’t over mix the batter.
- Let it cool down for 15 minutes before unmolding it from pan. You will be able to take out whole bread loaf nicely.