In today’s world, we all agree that eating fruit daily is good for health. There is no doubt about it. There are people who don’t like to enjoy fruit but they also try to bring it into there daily intake in the form of juice, smoothie, or dessert. Everybody understands its importance and health benefits. But we don’t realize that we shouldn’t combine certain fruits with each other.
Fruits are made up of 4 groups: Acid fruits, Sub-Acid Fruits, Sweet Fruits & Melons. With Food Combining, you typically NEVER want to mix any of the fruits with any other food group, and each fruit group should be eaten separately from one another.
source: Walmart Stores
This basically depends on the speed of digestion of different fruits and vegetables. Overall concept of food combining, follows the thinking that foods digest at different rates and ingesting an improper mix of foods can cause fermentation within the digestive system, slowing transit time and leading to bloating and possible bacterial imbalances.
The Ayurvedic perspective: Combining foods with radically different energetic can overwhelm the digestive fire and can cause indigestion, fermentation, gas, bloating, and the creation of toxins. This is why proper food combining is so important. Of course, certain combinations disturb the digestive tract more than others—an important consideration if this practice is entirely new to you. Regardless of your particular habits or symptoms, paying attention to how you combine foods can provide a valuable opportunity for insight, healing, and improved health.
“Proper food combining puts less effort and strain on our digestive system and faster, easier digestion increases the bio-availability of food,” says Mark Hendricks, group fitness manager at Toronto’s Bay Street Club.
It is usually best to embrace the idea of food combining slowly and gently. When you are motivated and decide to adapt more supportive food combinations, consider tackling just one change at a time.
- Perhaps start by eating fruits alone.
- While it would certainly be nice to avoid improper food combinations altogether, reducing their frequency can also be incredibly beneficial.
- Notice which foods you combine that may be difficult to digest together, and how often you indulge in them. Become aware of how you feel afterwards —Are they affecting your energy level, your digestion, your elimination, the coating on your tongue? These are all important pieces of information. They can help each of us to identify the food combinations that are the most disruptive to our systems.
Fruits DO NOT mix well with any other food group. Fruits should be eaten alone as a snack or meal on an empty stomach.
One Very common example of Food Combination is combination of Milk and Banana. We all have grown up eating this combination many times since childhood. I was surprised to see this combination as incompatible.
Although both of these foods have a sweet taste and a cooling energy, their post-digestive effect is very different – bananas are sour while milk is sweet as they break down in our stomach, this opposing qualities tend to smother the digestive fire and can disrupt the balance of intestinal flora, which results in the creation of toxins as congestion, colds, coughs, allergies, hives, and rashes. It is said to create heaviness in the body and slow down the mind.
Therefore, it is better to avoid blending banana with milk and rather have them separately. They have their own properties that benefit our health; however, mixing both may kill those properties causing ailments in the body.
- If you are a fan of milk-based banana smoothies make sure that banana is very ripe and add cardamom and nutmeg to stimulate digestion.
- The best way to consume banana and milk is separately. First drink the Milk and then eat the Banana after 20 minutes.
Avoid bananas and milk, especially after age 30 when the body’s metabolism slows down. Unless you are a pro tennis player.
The occasional banana milkshake is not going to kill you, but don’t make a habit of it.
Read more at:
Please share your views on this topic in the comment section below ↓