Watermelon is important to beat the heat of harsh sun in summer. Watermelon contains 92 percent of water. This means that eating watermelon on a hot summer day is a tasty way to help you stay hydrated and avoid dehydration (it’s not a substitute for drinking plenty of fresh water, however). Watermelon makes the perfect snack, picnic food or summer dessert. It’s also refreshing in smoothies, fruit pops and sorbets.
Every part of a watermelon is edible, even the seeds and rinds. We think of watermelon as a fruit because of its sweet flavor, but watermelon is actually a vegetable. It belongs to the cucurbit family, and is related to pumpkins, cucumbers and squash. Watermelon is a healthy food.
Here sharing recipe to make 2 different variations of watermelon squash from one concentrated watermelon juice.
- Watermelon Mint Squash : This variation has the goodness of nature. Fresh pulp of watermelon (concentrate)is infused with mint power and hint of Himalayan black salt.
- Watermelon bubbly squash : And this is Fresh pulp ( concentrate) is simply combined with Soda/ Sprite to give soda a healthy twist of fresh fruit.
For Concentrate of watermelon:
- 21/2 Cups of diced, seedless watermelon
- 2 Teaspoon of lime Juic
For Watermelon mint squash
- 1 Cup of concentrate of watermelon
- Few Mint leaves
- 1/8 Teaspoon Himalayan black salt
For Watermelon bubbly squash
- 1/2 Cup of concentrate of watermelon
- 1/2 Cup Sprite or soda
For Concentrate of watermelon:
In a high jar put the chilled watermelon pieces. Add in lemon juice and blend it with the help of a hand blender. No mess of cleaning afterwards. Add crushed ice cubes if not chilled. I personally like to have the pulp so I don’t like to strain as it is fibrous. If you want then use a strainer. This is the base of our watermelon squash. Reserve 1/2 Cup for later use for Watermelon bubbly. I have not used any sugar as it was naturally perfect sweet. Check for bright red color for more natural sweetness. Add Sugar/ honey/ maple syrup if needed as per taste.
Watermelon Mint Squash
Use the left concentrate of watermelon. Roughly tear 7-8 Mint leaves with your hand and blend it for 1 minute with hand blender. Then add pinch of Himalayan black salt and blend for 30 seconds. Finally your fresh soothing drink is ready to be served. Garnish with mint leaves n lime.
Watermelon bubbly squash
For this take the reserved concentrate, Pour it in a glass and fun time of adding your bubbly Sprite. Both the quantities of concentrate and sprite depends on your mood 😊 Enjoy as much or as little of soda and garnish with lime.
These Variations are packed with phytochemicals and nutrients your body needs for healthy development. (Benefits are searched from Google.)
- Watermelon has more lycopene than any other fruit or vegetable, even tomatoes — 20 mg. per 2-cup serving. Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant which can reduce inflammation and destroy free radicals.
- Watermelon is also high in vitamin A and C and a good source of fiber.
- Drinking watermelon juice before an intense workout helps reduce next-day muscle soreness and heart rate, according to a 2013 study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
- Watermelon is the richest natural source of citrulline. And according to a study published by the Florida State University, citrulline is closely related to arginine, which is an amino acid essential for maintaining healthy blood pressure.
- Your juice will only be as good as your watermelon, so find a good one at a farmer’s market or shop.
- The juice will separate over time, just stir it with a spoon to recombine.
- Add Ginger ale or any kind of Soda ( Sprite). Ginger ale gives the ginger flavor to the drink which tastes awesome.
- To really maximize your lycopene intake, let your watermelon fully ripen. The redder your watermelon gets, the higher the concentration of lycopene becomes.