Quesadilla is a very famous Mexican dish and popular in all parts of worlds. Queso means cheese in Spanish. Quesadilla is a tortilla ( corn/ flour) filled with cheese, savoury mixture of spices and vegetables often added, then cooked on a griddle. It has changed and evolved over many years as people experimented with different variations and combinations according to ones style and taste preference.
Quesadillas are quick, nutritious are very,very tasty and crunchy. You can have it for snack, For kids lunch box or dinner (pair it with hot soup).
There are many types of tortilla available in super market these days —- You can get corn tortilla, wheat tortilla, Gluten- free wraps, as well spinach tortillas also.
Interesting Fact : Wheat flour tortillas have been used on many American spaceflights since 1985 as an easy solution to the problems of handling food in micro-gravity and preventing bread crumbs from escaping into delicate instruments. (Source; Wheat tortilla – Wikipedia)
I have used Mission soft tortilla and Mozzarella cheese suitable for Vegetarian , it states microbial enzymes so its plant based. For making Vegan substitute it with a dairy free cheese.
- 4 Tortilla wraps
- 1 cup Onion chopped
- 1 cup Green Capsicum
- 1/2 cup – seeded Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Corns
- 2-3 Garlic pods finely chopped
- Mozzarella Cheese as per your wish
- Salt to taste
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Red chili flakes
- 1 Teaspoon oil
Heat oil on medium flame in a non-stick pan. Saute garlic till it turns little brown and then saute onion till it becomes translucent. Then add tomatoes, capsicum and corn and mix it well. Time to add dry spices salt, pepper, oregano and red chili flakes to taste. Cook on medium to low flame for 2-3 min or till it has no water content in your veggies. Turn off the flame and let it cool for 5 minutes.
In the mean while heat a skillet or tawa on medium to low flame. Take 2 tortillas cook with little butter on both sides or till it has little spots on both side one by one. Now on one tortilla spread one layer of cheese half way as shown below in picture. Top it with thin layer of your cooked veggies and finally thin layer of cheese. With help of your spatula lift your other half and cover it and try to press it so that cheese will glue all things properly. In the same way keep another warm tortilla and repeat the procedure.So there are two Half Moon Quesadillas on one skillet. It depends on size of your skillet. Its good if you make one at a time as a beginner. Flip and cook on both sides till nice brown spots appear.
Take out on chopping board and cut it with help of pizza cutter. One half moon into 3 bite size pieces and serve it with fresh Guacamole , salsa or Avocado slices. I can’t control to dig into it. Enjoy !
Vegetable Quesadillas are very healthy as you add different veggies and colors, it becomes more and more nutritious. ( Benefits researched from internet)
- Cheese contains lost of nutrients like calcium, protein, zinc, vitamin A, vitamin B12, its very good for kids.
- Boosts Immunity. Capsicum contains vitamin C, which is valued as an immune supportive bioactive phytochemical. It helps in strengthening the immune system, repairing damaged brain tissues, and lowering the risk of oxidative stress, pediatric asthma, and cancer. It also improves bone health.
- Vegetables are important sources of many nutrients, including potassium, dietary fiber, folate (folic acid), vitamin A, and vitamin C.
- Use a low fat cheese
- To make it Vegan use a vegan cheese.
- There are many options for Veggies —- You can use Mushrooms, Spinach, Yellow – Red- Green Capsicum, Zucchini, carrot, Beans . Add as many color as you can.
- Cook on medium to low heat, because Quesadillas burn easily. It takes about a 1-2 minutes on each side to get golden and crispy — cheese will also melt perfectly.
- Use a large spatula to slide under Quesadillas when you flip them.
- The half-moon technique is easier to flip. Just spread your filling over half of the tortilla, then fold the other half over the filling. When the time comes to flip the quesadilla, slide a spatula under the open side, then flip carefully your quesadilla.
- Use about 2 Teaspoon of fillings per tortilla and enough cheese to hold whole thing together.