Pancakes are easy and simple to make. Serve it with fresh fruits to make it healthy and power packed breakfast. Homemade Pancakes are as easy to make as store bought pancakes. The ingredients are easily available at home. If you use almond milk then it becomes a vegan recipe.
You will not believe me until you give it a try because I was also afraid of making it without eggs. At first, I made it with plain flour, they came up to my satisfaction. Then I used to enjoy making them but was guilty of using plain flour/maida. Then one day I substituted it with whole wheat flour. I was happy to serve soft and fluffy Pancakes, that tasted just like the earlier ones.
I learned that if we flip Pancakes when there are bubbles on other side, they came out soft and fluffy.
I also learned that if we add half ripped banana, then we can reduce sugar quantity. It gives natural sweetness cutting down on sugar making it all the more healthy. (More on this below)
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat flour
- 2 Teaspoon Brown sugar
- A pinch of Salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon powder
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking powder
In a bowl mix Whole wheat flour, salt, Baking soda. Whisk them nicely. Add half of the milk and mix gently, there should be no lumps. Add remaining milk, Cinnamon powder and vanilla extract and mix gently. The batter should be thick, not runny. Don’t over mix otherwise Pancakes will not be fluffy and light. Keep on side for 10 minutes.
Now heat a non stick pan on medium to low flame. Grease it with oil, I prefer to skip as it is a non stick pan. I like to make mini Pancakes. Take a tablespoon full of batter and spread in small circles. I prefer to make 3-4 at a time. When you see bubbles like this try to flip it carefully to other side. I enjoy watching them rising from center a little bit, this makes them fluffy and light. Flip them and bake till golden brown on both sides. Arrange them in serving plate as shown in picture. Repeat the process with remaining batter, add oil if needed. I could make up to 8 small size, it will wary depending on size of your Pancakes.
Now serve it with fresh cut fruits like Bananas, Muskmelon, Watermelon, Cherry or any other. I am showing here in step by step pics to make small balls of Muskmelon. You can use your imagination and make it more colorful and inviting. And the last but important step —- a Drizzle of Honey or Maple syrup is a must to enjoy it.
Pancakes are a hearty option to get a head start on your day.
- Whole wheat Pancakes provide extra Fiber.
- It provides high quality of Carbohydrates and a range of Vitamins and Minerals.
- Drizzle of Honey provides number of Antioxidants, including compounds like flavonoids.
- Eating Honey may lead to modest reduction in blood pressure.
- You can mix half Plain flour and half wheat flour. It works fine with whether Plain flour/ Wheat flour/ or a mix of both flour.
- Don’t over – mix your batter or your Pancakes will be hard like a rock !
- You are ready to cook your Pancakes when the surface of your skillet or pan is hot enough that a drop of water sizzles on contact.
- Avoid Maple syrup and Butter and opt for Honey. It will reduce your calories and fats.
- You can avoid brown sugar and add Honey or half mashed ripe Banana. I have also made it with ripe Banana, it gives natural sweetness and aroma.
- Fresh Fruits gives natural sweetness and freshness to the meal.