Seviyan Kheer is a very simple and delicious Indian dessert enjoyed and loved by people of all age group. It is known by different names like Semiyan Payasam in south India and Seviyan Kheer in North India.This dessert is also made on religious and auspicious occasions. It reminds me of Ramzan/ Ramadan special dessert at my friends place.
This scrumptious dish main ingredient is vermicelli. This can be served warm after meal as an dessert or as an chilled evening snack in this summer. It tastes awesome and kids loves the thin noodles inside it.
- Milk 4-5 Cups approx 1 ltr.
- Sugar 3/4 cup
- Vermicelli roasted 3/4 cup
- Ghee/ clarified butter 1 Teaspoon
- Green Cardamom powder 1 Teaspoon
- Saffron/ Kesar one pinch
- Raisins (optional)
- Almonds finely chopped (optional)
- Pistachios finely chopped(optional)
- Any other dry fruit of your choice
Lets start with a simple recipe of delicious and festive dessert. Please check Tips in last for better understanding…
Take milk in a thick pan and bring it to boil on medium flame. Stir in between with help of a spatula. In a small bowl take out one tablespoon hot milk and add in Saffron/ Kesar. With help of spoon mix properly so strands of kesar dissolves in milk giving beautiful color,keep it on one side for later use. Now add roasted Vermicelli and Sugar to boiling milk. Stir to mix and cook on medium to low flame till vermicelli is soft. Keep stirring, Kheer should not stick to the bottom. This took me approx 15 – 20 minutes. Switch off the flame.
Heat Ghee in a small pan on low to medium flame. Add in your desired, nicely chopped dry-fruits. Saute it till slightly brown and raisins blew like small balls. This took me approx 1-2 minutes. Add this dry- fruits, Saffron milk and Cardamom powder to the Vermicelli Kheer and combine in all properly. This kheer tends to thicken when comes to room temperature. Saffron and Cardamom gives a beautiful color n nice aroma to it.
You can take in serving bowl, top it with Almonds flakes n pistachios and keep it in refrigerator. Serve it chilled in this heating summer.
- Vermicelli, gives several health benefits
- Vermicelli is loaded with fiber
- Milk is an ideal source of nutrients such as Vitamin A, B12, D, Calcium, Carbohydrates, Magnesium, Protein, Zinc and Riboflavin.
- Nuts are packed with essential Nutrients. They are an abundant source of Proteins, Vitamins, Minerals and Dietary Fiber.
- Right from skin benefits to medicinal benefits, dry fruits and nuts are beneficial.
- Stir occasionally, Kheer should not stick to bottom of the pan.
- Use any Dry-fruit like Cashew- nut, Walnut, Pecan, Makhana/ Fox nuts.
- Vermicelli should be roasted. If you have plain Vermicelli — In thick pan heat one tablespoon ghee and saute vermicelli on medium flame till it change color, stir it continuously otherwise it will burn.
- If kheer becomes very thick— Add boiled milk and adjust sugar according to taste and mix in Kheer before serving.