Chole Bhature is a spicy and flavorful dish from Punjabi Cuisine in India. The sight and smell of Chole and Puffed Bhature makes any body hungry n crave for it. The combination of two is a complete meal relished by everyone. Kids love the ball like puffed Bhature and enjoy it with Chole i.e. Chick peas/ Garbanzo beans, great source of protein.
Chole Bhature recipe is divided in three easy steps.
- Boiling of Chana is very important for this recipe.
- Roasting of Onion- tomato with spices. For making it easier for beginners, i have used ready made chana masala available in Indian store. Any brand name like, MTR , Everest easily available will be good.
- lastly assembling boiled chole and roasted spices for flavorful final dish.
For Cooking Chole
- 11/2 Cup dried Chickpeas/ Garbanzo beans ( Canned Chickpeas can also be used)
- 1 Tablespoon Chana Dal (optional)
- Water as required for soaking
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 3 Cups water for pressure cooker
- 1 Tea bag ( to give brown color )
- 11/2 Tablespoon of Oil/ Ghee
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Cumin seeds
- 1 pinch of Asafoetida
- 1 large Bay leaf/ Tej patta
- 1 large size Onion Chopped
- 2 Medium sized Tomatoes Chopped
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon of Ginger and Garlic paste
- 1-2 Small green Chilies as per Taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika/ Red chili powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander powder
- Salt as per Taste( Use less as it is added in chole while boiling)
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
Rinse Chickpeas and Chana dal for couple of times with water nicely. Then soak the Chickpeas in enough water overnight for 8-9 hours. Soaking in enough water for longer time is important as it reduces the Gas causing compounds. After soaking ,it is white frothy substance collected on top of water is what you have to get rid off. In a pressure pan add chana dal and Chole with double water. To give a deep brown color to chole drop in Tea bags and little salt in it. I have used 1 Tea bag, you can use 2 for deep brown color. Take 3 whistles on high and one with low flame.Let it cool completely … Open and check the Chickpeas for tenderness. If there is excess water store it separately for later use.
In a pan heat oil/ghee , add Bay leaf n splutter in cumin seeds followed by Asafoetida. Add in chopped onions, saute it till translucent. Saute Ginger -garlic paste till raw smell goes away. Then follow by Chopped Tomatoes and green chili, till they turn mushy. Now add Turmeric, Red chili and Coriander powder, cook it for a minute finally add ready made Chana Masala. cook till oil separates from masalas.
Mash with help of spoon /masher Boiled Chickpeas, Then add in roasted masalas to it. Mix it nicely and add water to adjust the consistency of your gravy. I added a cup of water( use the cooked water from chickpeas) and mix it well. Check for Salt and add Garam masala. Simmer on low flame for 4-5 min or until the gravy thickens.
Garnish it with chopped cilantro leaves. Enjoy the soft buttery Chole with Onion and Bhature with a dash of lime.
- Chickpeas/ Chole are an excellent source of dietary fiber, Fiber also helps to balance pH levels in the gut.
- Fiber has a unique job of clearing out cholesterol deposits in the bloodstream.
- High fiber content helps to fill up the stomach and provides a feeling of satiety for many hours. This prevents overeating and obesity.
- Chickpeas also contain potassium, a mineral which is responsible for maintaining healthy blood pressure levels by countering the effects of sodium.
- Chickpeas are a low on the glycemic index, which means that they do not cause blood sugar levels to spike.
- Chickpeas are an excellent source of iron.
- Chickpeas are one of the richest sources of vitamin B9—also called folate or folic acid—which is an essential vitamin for a healthy pregnancy.
- Chickpeas contain many nutrients which are essential to bone health, including calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc, and vitamin K. Vitamin K increases calcium absorption.
- For more Tangy flavor use Tamarind water .
- Dry Pomegranate seeds and amchur powder are used in traditional recipes. In ready made masala it is added in it.
Click here for Bhature recipe