A Mexican cuisine, its quick and easy to prepare and is packed with tons of veggies and healthy protein. Possibilities are endless and you can convert it into your personal taste without worrying about proportions of ingredients. It is purely Vegetarian rice bowl which can be customized by adding or removing few ingredients to fit your diet requirements. Kids also eat it happily as lots of cheese and cream can be added to their bowl. I am sharing recipe of my way of 7 Layer Burrito Bowl….
Two years back, when I came to America, I tried Chipotle Burrito Bowl for first time. As a Vegetarian it’s difficult to try new cuisine but we liked it, as we could see what was going into our bowl.
- 1 cup White Rice
- Water 2 cup
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1-2 Bay leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon juice
- Few Chopped Cilantro Leaves
- 1 cup Red kidney beans Soaked and Boiled Or 1 Canned beans
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 2-3 Garlic pods grated
- Salt as per taste
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chili powder/ Paprika
- 1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/2 Red Onion Peeled, cut Julienne
- 1/2 Yellow Bell pepper, Thinly sliced
- 1/2 Orange Bell pepper, Thinly sliced
- 1/2 Green Bell pepper, Thinly sliced
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Teaspoon crushed Black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Oil
- 1 medium sized Tomato, finely chopped
- 2 Spoon finely chopped Onions
- few Cilantro leaves
- 1/4 Teaspoon Paprika/ Red chili powder
I have finely chopped Tomato and with help of a fork try to crush it and take out some juice of Tomato. Then just add Onion, Salt ,Paprika and chopped Cilantro leaves and mix it well.
- 1/2 Cup Boiled Corn
- Salt to Taste
- 1/4 Teaspoon crushed Black pepper
I have used frozen Corns, so Microwave it 30- 60 seconds and check for tenderness. Then just add Salt and Black pepper and combine all things well.
6. Guacamole 1 Cup ( click for detailed recipe)
7. Shredded Lettuce 1 Cup
8. Shredded Vegetarian Cheese 1/2 Cup ( I have used Cabot Cheddar Cheese)
9. Tortilla Chips for Serving
Don’t get afraid of list. Many of them can be skipped or replaced with other Ingredients in Pantry. Check for Tips Section below.
It can be served to 4
——–First Start with Basic two Ingredients i.e. Rice and Beans
Wash Rice nicely 3 times with water and soak it for an hour. Now to 1 Cup Rice add 2 Cups of water , Little Salt to Taste , Oil and Bay Leaves .Pressure Cook for 2 -3 Whistle. After it cools for a while, Open and add Lime juice + Cilantro leaves, Mix well with help of fork, remove bay leaves and keep aside.
Soak Red kidney beans overnight. Boil in Pressure cooker with sufficient water for 4 whistle or till tender. Strain excess water after boiling and keep it aside for later use. You can skip this process by using Canned Beans. (Prefer to go for low sodium one)
In a Pan, when Oil gets heated add chopped Garlic pods, Saute it for a minute or till it changes color. Now Add Boiled Beans, Turmeric powder, Salt, Paprika, Black pepper and Little water ( strained from beans). Mix it all and bring to a boil. Keep it aside.
3. Vegetable Fajita
Heat a non stick pan on medium flame and drizzle oil over it. Add Red Onions, and all colorful Bell peppers. Saute it till Onions are Translucent. Then add Salt and Crushed Black pepper and mix well. Put off the flame and add few more Julianne cut green Bell peppers, I like to add for the crunch of it. Keep aside
Fun part of Layering up your bowl. Keep all together in front of you and start preparing your Chipotle style Burrito Bowl.
In any Bowl,( I have taken the shape of bowl given in store) first layer your Rice. Cover it with another layer of Beans. Quantity is as per your Taste and Wish.
Now Third layer is of your Vegetable Fajita, Fourth of Corn and Salsa, Fifth is Shredded Lettuce, Sixth layer is of Favorite Cheese, Finally Seventh layer of nice dollop of Guacamole and crushed Tortilla chips.
Now don’t wait for anybody and just dig in and Enjoy to your satisfaction.
Its a very healthy and full of fresh veggies and nutrients.—–
- Rice has the ability to provide instant energy, regulate bowel movements and slow down the aging process. It aids in skin and hair care.
- If you include quinoa/ brown Rice in place of white rice,it has more fiber and minerals.
- Rice which ever quality, is naturally Gluten Free.
- Kidney beans when combines with whole grains as Rice, they provide fat-free high quality protein.
- Kidney beans are excellent source of molybdenum. They are good source of Vitamin B 1 ,protein, fiber, folate,calcium, magnesium, and more.
- They help in losing weight as protein is more filling than either carbohydrates or fat. 1 Cup of Red kidney beans is equal to 16.2 grams of protein. The increased satiety experienced after eating protein- rich foods, help you eat fewer calories throughout day, helping to promote weight loss.
- Avocado are loaded with Heart-Healthy Monounsaturated Fatty acids.
- Eating Vegetables is always good source of nutrients and vitamins.
- It Can be made and stored in refrigerator in proper bowls for meal prep.
- You can take any Rice of your choice, leftover also works good.
- Beans of any kind can be taken like– black beans, Pinto beans. For Bachelors and in busy days, canned Beans is best option, as it is soaked and pre-cooked . Drain off liquid before seasoning.
- In Vegetable Fajita, Bell peppers of one type also goes well. You can include Mushrooms also.
- Ready made Salsa/ Guacamole can be used.
- Spinach also works ,if you don’t have Lettuce.
- Sour Cream/ Vegan / Vegetarian Mayo adds more creaminess and Taste.
- You can convert it too vegan by using Vegan Cheese/ Mayo.