Potatoes are one of the worlds most versatile vegetables.They are on almost every cuisine in some form and can be prepared in dozens of ways.Potatoes are naturally gluten- free and are a store house of energy and nutrition,vitamins and minerals. Here I am sharing recipe which does not require much preparation time ,yet its Tasty and Healthy. Check for Tips to make it in different combinations.
- 2 Medium sized Potatoes washed, peeled and grated finely.
- 1/2 Tsp of Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp of cumin powder
- 1 Green Chili, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Arrowroot ( for Fasting)/ or corn flour
- Sendhav namak ( for Fasting)/ or iodized salt as per taste
- Little Oil
Arrowroot flour and Sendhav salt is used in case of spiritual fasting. You can easily get from any Indian store.So if you are making this recipe at time of Vrat (fasting), keep it in mind. Start with out wasting time as it is simple and Quick —-
Wash Potatoes nicely and peel them. Use a fine grater. Soak grated potato for 5 minutes in water so that starch is separated from them. Now Squeeze out water nicely from Potato. Mix all dry ingredients — Arrowroot/ corn starch, Green chilies, Cumin powder, Black pepper and Salt. Corn starch or Arrowroot act as binding agent and gives crispy texture.
Now heat a Non-stick Pan, it helps to reduce the use of Oil. Only few drops work as miracle.Now Take a spoonful of mixture and try to layer it as thin as possible. I used spoon of excess water, coming out of potato after adding salt, to level and help me in spreading it thin. Cook on low to medium flame till you see edges turning little brown.
Now its time to flip over with help of spatula. Put few drops of oil on edges , if needed.Cook both sides till Cheela turns golden and crisp. Serve it hot with a bowl of home made Curd/ yogurt. I was able to make three Cheelas.
Egg-less Potato Pan cakes are Tasty and Healthy. Potatoes add a boost of nutritional benefit. One medium -sizes (5.3 oz) skin- on potato has following things:
- Just 110 calories, No Fat, Sodium or Cholesterol.
- Nearly half your daily value of vitamin C
- More Potassium than a Banana
- A good source of Vitamin B6
- Fiber, magnesium and antioxidant resistant starch.
- Fresh Yogurt /curd is a good source of Probiotic microbes.
- Sendhav namak has a cooling effect on body. It is essential in maintaining pH balance in our body and helps in proper digestion.Ayurveda recommends Sendhav namak consumption over regular sea salt.
- Boiled Potatoes can also be used. Mash them nicely. But I prefer Raw to get the crispness .
- When you take grated raw potatoes, Squeeze out water well, else you will have to add in more flour.
- If not making for Fasting then you can add in more vegetables like– grated Carrot, Cabbage,Zucchini and making it more healthy.
- It can be served with Tomato Ketchup /Coriander dip or Yogurt.