Palak Muthiyas are Steamed Dumplings of Spinach and is a very popular Gujarati snack in India. It is a easy way to incorporate lots of leafy veggies in a snack with a mix of flour and little tempering of oil making it perfect to serve to Guests as snack or appetizer at any party. It is great option for kids lunch box, prepared ahead of time.These dumplings are Perfect in flavor, nutrition and visual appeal.
- 1 Cup Wheat Flour
- 3 Tablespoon Besan/ Chickpea flour/Garbanzo flour
- 3 Tablespoon Suji/ Semolina/ Rawa
- 3 Cups washed and finely chopped Spinach/ Palak
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander cumin powder
- 1/4 Tsp Baking soda
- 2 Tablespoon Jaggery/ Gur (diluted in water)/ Sugar as required
- 1 1/2 Tsp Ginger – Garlic paste
- 3 Tablespoon Curd/ Yogurt/ Dahi (Use dairy free)
- Salt to taste
- 11/2 Tablespoon Oil
- 2 Tsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Mustard seeds/Rai
- 2 Tsp Sesame seeds/ Til
Lets start :
Wash the Spinach leaves nicely and keep in strainer so excess water drains out. Then chop them nicely. In a small bowl dilute the Jaggery in 2 Tablespoon of water. Keep it ready.
In a medium bowl mix in all the ingredients, isn’t it easy….. Wheat flour, Chickpea flour, Semolina, Asafoetida, Turmeric Powder, Chili powder,Coriander cumin powder, Ginger -garlic paste, Curd, Salt, combine all ingredients properly. Then make a well in this mixture add chopped Spinach leaves and finally add oil+ Baking soda. Mix all ingredients and add Jaggery water to make it into dough. I needed to sprinkle little water more as my dough was dry. So add water slowly as needed.
Keep this dough for resting for 10 minutes and meanwhile prepare the Steamer. I generally Steam in my Pressure cooker. Place the stand or stainless steel cookie cutter in center. Fill it with one glass of water or little below the rim of stand. Grease the Sieve or plate with holes, which you will use for steaming and keep it in the cooker as shown in Picture. For the lid we have two options ,1st :Take out the whistle from the lid and keep a small steel bowl upside down from where steam will come out. Or 2 Option Place a glass- lid or any-other which fits properly.
Time to roll the dough in cylindrical shapes. Grease your hands with oil and shape thin cylinders from dough. Place them in hot steamer, and Steam them on medium heat for 15 – 20 minutes or till the toothpick comes out clean test. When done remove the logs from pan and let them cool down slightly.
Slice the Steamed logs into thin/ medium size slices. Heat oil in a broad Pan , Crackle Mustard seeds and carefully add Sesame seeds as they tend to pop up when added to very hot oil. Cover it with lid if it pops up ,Then add in sliced Muthiyas and toss gently on slow flame for 2 -3 minutes or till they are slightly brown n crispy from outside. Serve them with a hot cup of Tea or coriander dip.
Deliciously and Healthy plate of Palak Muthiyas is ready to be served.
- Steaming is a healthy way to cook vegetables to prevent nutrient losses. It lowers the risks of high cholesterol levels and other heart diseases.
- Steamed Vegetables can do much better job in boosting immune functions, facilitating detoxification and improving digestion.
- Steamed veggies are cooked just right, this makes them more flavorful and irresistible. The more you eat, The better.
- It is important to remember that Steaming does not work for all types of vegetables.It is ideal for all green leafy vegetables like Spinach, Broccoli.
- When you eat cooked Spinach as compared to Raw, It will absorb higher levels of vitamins A and E, Protein, Fiber, Calcium and Iron. Important Beta – Carotene also become more absorb-able.
- We can use 2-3 mixes of flours as Wheat flour + Millet / Bajra flour+ Chickpea /Besan flour and get benefit of multigrain.
- We can combine 2 leafy vegetables also like for example 2 cup of Spinach+ 1 cup of Fenugreek leaves. To make variation, one can add grated Bottle-guard or grated Cabbage etc. All variation tastes Delicious.
- Add 3 -4 Curry leaves at the time of Tempering.( I skipped as was not having in my pantry).
- Serve This delicious Muthiyas,without Tempering , soon after Steaming — As hot and spicy Steamed ensures greatest satisfaction to your Taste.
For Palak Paneer/ Tofu recipe